It’s that time of year when you’re pulling out the beach bag and unearthing pool floaties. Maybe you’ll find a random pacifier and an old sunscreen stick wedged at the bottom of a pile of goggles and pool rings. If you’re in a rush, you’ll head out the door and hope the sunscreen you found in the cabinet isn’t expired.
Okay, that’s fine for the inaugural pool party to kick off summer, but mamas, let’s take a minute to make sure that what we’re lathering on us and our kids is not only fresh, but is safe for the whole family.
Growing up, I would make the classic excuses for skipping sunscreen: it doesn’t smell good and I don’t like the way it feels on my skin.
Now that I’m older, my criteria for sunscreen has grown even bigger. Yes smell and feel are still among the most important things, but application and ingredients are even higher on my list.
So as you pull out the summer supplies and replenish your sunscreen for beach days and pool parties, make sure the product you use isn’t more harmful to your health than the sun rays themselves!
First, let’s get clear on what toxic ingredients we want to avoid in our sunscreen:
- Synthetic Fragrance
- Retinyl Palmitate
Good news, Beautycounter’s nontoxic sunscreen not only avoids those ingredients, but they have a few more perks. Here’s how they pack a punch:
- Safe: It’s air powered, instead of the propellant chemicals used in aerosol cans
- Convenient: their face sticks can easily be thrown in a purse or diaper bag
- Get that dew skin: Smooth, creamy, non-oily, dewy finish
- Ingredients: the non-nano zinc oxide sits on top of the skin as a protective barrier from the sun rather than soaking into the skin and blood stream
- Scent: if you don’t like the smell of sunscreen, I’m with you! The scent will take you to a wild field of California poppies.
Click on the images below to shop for the safe sunscreen! Be sure to shop with me (Emily Barton!) so I can follow up with you on how the good stuff is working for you.
As you’re planning that girls trip to Palm Springs or prepping for a much-needed family trip to the grandparents’ house, make sure you stock up on all things CLEAN sunscreen!